Marketing Implications

    For this blogging assignment, I decided to look at the one social media platform where I see many advertisements that catch my attention. Facebook was the first social media platform I signed up for to stay connected with all of my military friends; this later included family members as the platform grew in popularity outside of the younger college generation. Now, this was back in the early 2000s. Since then, I have viewed Facebook as more than a social networking platform. It now appears as a modern-day form of the Yellow Pages. 


    There are some similarities when comparing the marketing style of Yellow Pages and Facebook. The Yellow Pages were published once a year and provided to all residences and businesses for free. Within those pages, you would find local businesses' names, phone numbers, addresses, and marketing ads; sometimes, you may even find culpable coupons in the back. In some of the smaller rural areas, these books would also include white pages; those pages provided local residents' names, addresses, and phone numbers. These books were the only way to find some business that could provide you with a product you needed or wanted or search for a plumber who could fix a broken water. Those white pages served as a Rolodex or contact page, giving you the phone number of a neighbor or friend and the mailing address to send mail out a letter or holiday card. 


    It should be pretty obvious when comparing this to Facebook and the marketing and contact information provided. With Facebook, you can connect with your friends and family and search their profiles for mailing addresses, emails, and phone numbers on modern-day white pages. One noticeable difference would be the ability to instantly share information, photos, and videos with those you contact. Now, turning the direction to marketing on Facebook, the modern-day Yellow Pages has changed. The most obvious would be that the reach goes beyond those in your local area, and as a business, you can expand that reach. You provide call-to-action clickable links, instant purchase opportunities, colorful photos or videos of a product, and consumer feedback. Plus, as a business, the cost is a pretty big difference when comparing the marketing opportunity the Yellow Pages offered versus Facebook. While advertising on Facebook, you select your fee from $0 - $100 or more, while in the Yellow Pages, there was no zero cost.  


    Facebook is my go-to shopping and research site. Several ads pop up in connection with previous searches I have done. Some may find it frustrating; however, I’m good; the platform knows what I like and searches out those specific companies or products, weeding through those I don’t care about. One of those companies I’ve done business with is Pair Eyeware; I clicked on their website link, placed an order for my glasses, and now receive updates on new products and sales. There are companies where I’ve clicked on the “Follow” link and website to receive updates on road conditions, school updates, and more.  



    It would be wrong of me not to mention some concerns with this type of advertisement and communication. Sadly, those out there want to exploit those who click on fake marketing ads hijacking your information. That said, it is always essential to click cautiously and read the information carefully. The Federal Trade Commission reported to CBS News that… “One in four people reported losing money to fraud since 2021 pointed to social media as the origin of the scam.” (Brooks, 2023) This is why it is essential to be honest and transparent in all statements when creating an ad on any platform to ensure the jargon used can not be misconstrued.  






Resources 


Brooks, K. (6 October 2023). CBS News. “Americans reported $2.7 billion in losses from scams on social media, FTC says.”                                                         https://www.cbsnews.com/news/online-fraud-losses-detection-social-media/# 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benefits of Social Media Marketing

Role of Social Media