Role of Social Media
When looking at the multiple social media platforms I interact with, two are at the top of my list recently: LinkedIn and Pinterest. It is obvious that both of these platforms are geared towards different audiences. Pinterest is more of a visual site that allows you to pin the images and information you find helpful or interesting to your personally created boards. Some may say it is similar to a vision board that you can divide into multiple categories of your choosing.
However, for this blog post, I want to focus on LinkedIn, a platform I have become more familiar with over the last few months. Do not get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy Pinterest; I could spend hours pinning away. LinkedIn is a profession-driven platform with “over 830 million members worldwide, and it is a great way to connect with other professionals in your field, find a job, or build your personal brand.” (Hamza, 2023) Creating my LinkedIn account over six years ago was for the purpose of building my personal brand as a professional genealogist. However, over the past two years, with a move and career change, I’m now working on adjusting that profile. I am working to rebrand myself and use it to search for jobs.
When looking at the different types of marketing that I find on LinkedIn, it is similar to platforms like Facebook and Twitter. However, the style is different; for example, many of the marketing ads on LinkedIn are geared toward professional companies to help with communication or help with payroll and business expenses. When you go through LinkedIn, you are not looking for those cute talking puppy videos or funny falls like you would find on YouTube or Facebook. You are searching for ways to connect and promote yourself professionally in a professional social media setting. Some ways you see this taking place are through campaigns, video ads, sponsored content, and even polls. This platform is a must for a company seeking business, an employer looking to fill a position, or a job seeker looking for that perfect fit. “As the world’s largest professional network, LinkedIn generates leads 227% more effectively than Facebook and Twitter, so it’s an essential platform for your business when it comes to marketing.” (Zantal-Wiener, 2023)
In closing, when I look at LinkedIn, I see the type of marketing and how it affects me. The marketing that takes place provides content directed towards the professional, providing clickable links to websites, blog postings, and hyperlinks to other sites that may connect with that specific ad. You also see those personal branding ads with inspirational quotes and ideas and the marketing of self-help books. Through all of the marketing on LinkedIn, the purpose is to foster those much-needed business relationships needed to succeed. As mentioned earlier, I have been working to revamp my LinkedIn account and focus more on my career in communications and writing. I have found a number of the ads useful; I may only click on some; however, with each ad I look at, I have a new idea for an article or marketing ad in the future.
References
Hamza, A. (24 July 2023). LinkedIn. Why LinkedIn is an Important Platform for Professionals? https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-linkedin-important-platform-professionals-ali-hamza/
Zantal-Wiener, A. (26 October 2023). Hubspot. The Beginner’s Guide to LinkedIn Marketing and Networking. https://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307/bid/23454/the-ultimate-cheat-sheet-for-mastering-linkedin.aspx
Comments
Post a Comment